In 1813 Benjamin Harvey opened a linen shop in a terraced house on the corner of Knightsbridge and Sloane Street in London.
In 1820 the business passed on to his daughter on the understanding that she go into partnership with Colonel Nichols, selling Oriental carpets, silks and luxury goods alongside the linens.
The existing Knightsbridge store was opened in the 1880's with the rear section added in 1932. In 1919 Harvey Nichols was bought by Debenhams and in 1985 became part of the Burton Group. In 1991 the store was acquired by Dickson Concepts (International) Ltd and embarked on a major refurbishment of the Fifth Floor Foodmarkert, Restaurant, Bar and Café.
In October 1991 the Harvey Nichols group was acquired from the Burton Group by Dickson Concepts, an international retailer and distributor of branded luxury goods based in Hong Kong and listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
In April 1996, Harvey Nichols obtained a full listing on the London Stock Exchange and for the subsequent period of almost 7 years stayed as a listed company.
February 2003 saw the return of Harvey Nichols to private ownership and Harvey Nichols Group Limited is now owned by the Hong Kong-based businessman Dr. Dickson Poon whose retail businesses extend to North America, Europe, Japan, China and South East Asia.